Here, soldering is discussed only in relation to electronics. Soldering is a much bigger subject than soldering within the scope of electronics. However, since the early days of soldering in electronics, the subject has expanded to include many techniques.
Minimal Electronics Toolkit#
This is a minimalist tool kit for electronics. However the YooFab Shop is going to offer quality tools and toolkit sets at very reasonable prices very soon.
TT Zop / CC BY-SA
Soldering single sided PCB#
Here is a diagram of how through hole soldering is done. Here the assumption is that the Printed Circuit Board (PCB) is a single sided board. The components in such a board are usually on the top side of the board while the solder is underneath. This kind of board was very common up to about the 1980s, when multi-layer boards became common.
In the following diagram you can see that the component has now been soldered into position.
Humanoc / CC BY-SA
De-soldering is also important - especially during prototyping, or when fixing things. Mysid / Public domain
De-Soldering Tools And Materials#
- Solder wick
- Heat guns, also called hot air guns
- De-soldering pump
- Removal alloys
- Removal fluxes
- Heated soldering tweezers
- Various picks and tweezers for tasks such as pulling at, holding, removing, and scraping components.
- Vacuum and pressure pumps with specialized heater tips and nozzles
- Rework stations, used to repair printed circuit board assemblies that fail factory test.